- Branch of service or Wartime Activity: US Army Air Corp
- Highest Rank:Major
- Unit, Division, Battalion,group, ship : 315th Bomb Wing, 16th Bomb Group, 15th Squadron
- War, operation, or conflict: WWII, recall 2 years Korea
- Locations of military service: Pacific, Korea
- Battles/ Campaigns: Asian Pacific, Battle of Japan, American Zone
- Medals or special service awards: Air medal with 3 Battle Stars, Distinguished Unit Citation
- Special duties/ highlights/achievements: B- 29 pilot, Aviation Cadet Squadron Commander at Twin Engine Advanced Flight School.
- Senior pilot flew night raids over Japan
Major Charles Formwalt Smith commissioned into the US Army Air Corp during WWII. He served as a B-29 pilot in the 315th Bomb wing, 16th Bomb Group, 15th Squadron. He attended Aviation Flight School in Lafayette Louisiana at Walnut Ridge, in Arkansas at George Field, and in Illinois. He achieved the status of Aviation Cadet Squadron Commander at Twin Engine Advanced Flight School. He was a senior pilot when he flew night bombing raids over Japan. He served in the Battle of Japan, Asian Pacific, and American Zone. His unit received a Distinguished Unit Citation and he was awarded and Air medal with 3 Battle Stars. He joined the reserves and was recalled for 2 years to fly during the Korean war.